Sunday - September 26, 2010

From: Los Angeles, CA
Title: How Will Termite Fumigation Affect a Figvine
Answered by: Marilyn Kircus

Will a termite fumigation kill a 19 year old figvine that is growing on a stucco house?

Ficus pumila, figvine, is native to Eastern Asia and therefore out of the realm of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We recommend plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. We are not so much concerned with whether a pest spray might hurt the vine, but whether the vine will hurt your stucco wall. Please read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer, also from California, to learn more about the plant. Also, you might be interested in the negative comments in this Dave's Garden forum on figvine.

Here is an article from the University of California Integrated Pest Management website on termite management. Consult a pest control specialist for more information.