Thursday - September 23, 2010

From: San Diego, CA
Title: A suggestion for a native small tree for San Diego

Another good suggestion for a native small tree for San Diego - Garrya veatchii - Southern Silktassle. It's really gorgeous!

From the USDA Plant Profile of Garrya veatchii, it apears that this plant is endemic to Southern California, including San Diego County. We have not listed it in the past because it is not yet in our Native Plant Database, which is a work in progress and always will be.

We appreciate your bringing this to our attention, and have found a couple of websites that give some more information for someone who might be considering planting it.

Wildflowers of the Santa Monica National Recreation Area Silk Tassel Bush

Las Pilitas Nursery Garrya veatchii