Tuesday - September 21, 2010

From: Boca Raton, FL
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Are Wandering Jew plants poisonous from Boca Raton FL?

QUESTION:

Are wandering jew plants poisonous? I'd like to put some in my pond which has goldfish in it. Thanks

ANSWER:

Tradescantia zebrina is native to Mexico and therefore is not in our Native Plant Database.

From Bonnie's Plants.com Poisonous Plants to Fish

Koi and Water Garden Society of Central New York, poisonous plants for fish

We found no mention on either site of Tradescantia zebrina.That does not necessarily mean that it is not poisonous, and we know that this plant can irritate the skin when it is handled. Perhaps you would do well to inquire at a store that sells the goldfish you have in your pond.