Sunday - March 26, 2006

From: Newark, NJ
Region: Select Region
Title: Native habitate sunlight as opposed to artificial light
Answered by: Dean Garrett

Does a plant grow best in sunlight or artificial light?

Plants grow best in sunlight of the intensity and daily duration that is found in their native habitat. Natural sunlight is what plants evolved with and it provides the full light spectrum that a plant needs. The orange-red and blue-violet portions of the light spectrum are particularly important for photosynthesis. However, modern plant lights can approximate the natural light spectrum remarkably well. With both natural and artificial light, it is important to learn whether a plant prefers full sun, partial sun, or shade, since too much or not enough sun or shade can inhibit growth or even kill a plant.