Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native Meyer lemon not bearing fruit in Austin

Monday - September 13, 2010

Title: Non-native Meyer lemon not bearing fruit in Austin

QUESTION:

I have had a meyer lemon for 9 years and it has never produced fruit. What do I do? It has beautiful leaves and thorns but no fruit. Thank you, Mr. Smarty Plants

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the use, care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants are being grown. The Meyer lemon, citrux x mayheri, is native to China. The "x" between the two words represents a hybrid, which also puts it out of our realm of expertise. It is thought that it originated by crossing a true lemon and either a mandarin or common orange.

However, we found an excellent article on this plant from Washington State University on Meyer Lemon.  Hopefully, it will answer your questions. 

Pictures of Meyer lemon from Google.