Tuesday - September 14, 2010

From: Albuquerque, NM
Title: Need a source for mesquite trees in Albuquerque, NM.

QUESTION:

Where can I find mesquite plants to use in landscaping my yard in Albuquerque?

ANSWER:

Going to our Native Plants database, we find that there are three species of mesquite (Prosopis) that occur in New Mexico that could be possibilities.

Prosopis glandulosa (Honey mesquite)

Prosopis glandulosa var. torreyana (Western honey mesquite)

Prosopis pubescens (Screwbean mesquite)

Clicking on the links above will pull up that species' NPIN page which will describe the species, and tell about its growth requirements. Compare the growing conditions listed  with the area where you wish to plant your Mesquite.

Using our National Suppliers Directory will make it easier to find businesses that that sell native plants in your area. A promising location looks like the Santa Ana Garden Center.