Mr. Smarty Plants - Native shrubs for containers in Los Angeles, CA

Thursday - September 23, 2010

From: Los Angeles, CA
Title: Native shrubs for containers in Los Angeles, CA

QUESTION:

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants - We are looking for some non-vine potted plants to grow on our balcony for privacy in Los Angeles. The balcony receives partial direct sunlight & we would like the growth to be about 5-6 feet. Thanks

ANSWER:

You might like to read our article, Container Gardening with Native Plants, for hints and suggestions the proper container, for soil mixes, and for choosing and maintaining the plants you use.  Here are several plants native to California close to the size you want that should do well in containers:

Arctostaphylos hookeri (Hooker's manzanita)

Mahonia aquifolium (Holly-leaf oregon-grape)

Malacothamnus fasciculatus (Mendocino bushmallow) and here is more information

Rhus integrifolia (Lemonade sumac) and here is more information

Symphoricarpos mollis (Creeping snowberry) and here is more information

Garrya veatchii (silk tassel bush) and here is more information

Here are photos of the some of the plants above from our Image Gallery:

Arctostaphylos hookeri

Mahonia aquifolium