En EspaÑol

Wednesday - September 01, 2010

From: Ridgefield, CT
Title: Need help identifying a deciduous weedy shrub in Ridgefield, CT.

QUESTION:

My overgrown property is blanketed in a deciduous weedy shrub. Its not Autumn Olive. The stems have large thorns and the shrub is comprised of many thick woody stems that, when cut have a distinctive yellow color. The shrubs grow everywhere.. from a single new stem that popping up alone to large masses of thick bark-like stems that are difficult to cut. The leaves are small. The branches tend to arch. I've noticed that a new sprout will even emerge from an exposed root. What is this? I need to get rid of them.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has found that it is difficult, if not impossible, to identify a plant from a written description even if its well done. Do you happen to have a picture of the plant? If so, go to the Plant Identification Page  and follow the instructions for submitting a photo. Plant identification is usually done using the characteristics of the flower, so if you send a photo of the flower it would be a boon.

For help closer to home, I would suggest that you contact the Fairfield County Office of the University of Connecticut Cooperative Extension System.