Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native tomato plant in Austin

Monday - August 30, 2010

Title: Non-native tomato plant in Austin

QUESTION:

I have an upside-down tomato plant, started on July 4. For several weeks there have been 7 green tomatoes, with no further growth or ripening,despite daily watering. Am I doing something wrong?

ANSWER:

We don't know if you are doing something wrong, because we don't know about tomatoes. Solanum lycopersicum, tomato, originated in South America. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which the plants are being grown. 

Hopefully, this article from  Old Fashioned Living Growing Tomatoes Upside Down can give you some help.