Mr. Smarty Plants - Petals of flowers on cake from London

Saturday - August 28, 2010

From: London, England
Region: Other
Topic: Edible Plants, Poisonous Plants
Title: Petals of flowers on cake from London

QUESTION:

Hi could you confirm that Gemini, Lisianthus and Lilies are non toxic if positioned onto a fresh cream cake (stem will be paced into a vial but the petals will come into contact with the cream). Thank you.

ANSWER:

This sounds like a lovely design, but is out of our expertise. We are committed to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native to North America. All of the plants you mentioned in your two questions are non-native to North America. Just on a guess, we would not recommend it. You have no way of knowing what pesticides or preservatives might have been sprayed on those flowers, or whether some tiny insects might still be hiding in them.