Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification from Sarasota, FL.

Monday - August 23, 2010

From: Sarasota, FL
Topic: Plant Identification, Transplants
Title: Plant identification from Sarasota, FL.

QUESTION:

Hi I recently went to Discovery Cove in Orlando Florida and saw a purple flowering tree/shrub that had branches similar to okra shape or starfruit shape, the leaves were very grainy similar to alligator skin. Wondering if you could tell me what this is? I have looked on the internet and cant seem to find it. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants has found that it is difficult, if not impossible, to identify a plant from a written description even if it's well done. Did you happen to take a picture of the plant? If so, go to the Plant Identification Page  and followi the instructions for submitting a photo.

I did a Combination Search of the Native Plant Data Base , and the only purple flowering tree I found from Florida was  Asimina triloba (pawpaw).   Of course, the plant you saw may have been a non-naive. If this isn't your plant, we really need to see a picture.

More images