Saturday - August 21, 2010

From: La Quinta, CA
Title: Difficulty identifying/finding a plant

QUESTION:

I have been advised that the Calandria (sic) is a good plant to cover a cement wall surrounding our home in La Quinta, CA. I cannot find such a plant on line. Can you assist? I want to entirely cover a cement wall so it looks green. Thanks so much

ANSWER:

Perhaps the name of the plant is Calliandra?   There are two species native to California—Calliandra californica (tabardillo) and Calliandra eriophylla (fairyduster).  The Theodore Payne Foundation for Wildflowers & Native Plants, Inc. in Sun Valley, CA lists both C. californica and C. eriophyllaLas Pilitas Nursery with locations in both Escondido and Santa Margarita, CA, lists C. eriophylla.  You can check for other nurseries specializing in native plants in your area that might have it by searching in our National Suppliers Directory under California.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Calliandra californica

Calliandra californica

Calliandra eriophylla

Calliandra eriophylla