En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Need water absorbing plants in Syracuse, NY

Wednesday - August 18, 2010

From: Syracuse, NY
Topic: Water Gardens
Title: Need water absorbing plants in Syracuse, NY

QUESTION:

I'm Looking for water absorbing plants and shrubs -not so much trees. My rain barrels and downspouts are still creating too much run off. I want to line a walkway and keep rainwater run-off from draining in neighbors yard!! Help!! The space is a partial to full sun area. Thanks for your help!!

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants thinks that your problem maybe calls more for a Hydrologist than a Botanist. All plants absorb water, but not to the extent that you want. Plants can divert the flow of the run off, but they can't eliminate it. Perhaps a landscape architect can design a drainage system that would keep the water out of your neighbor's yard, or maybe you can add more rain barrels to your collection system.