Friday - August 13, 2010

From: Beaumont, TX
Title: Plant ID from Beaumont TX

QUESTION:

I live in Beaumont Texas and have some trees on the land I hunt that look like a yaupon but put on a small blue berry that the deer devour in December. I have looked and searched the Internet but have had no luck identifying this tree. They are very similar to yaupon in every aspect except the berry. Can you help me?

ANSWER:

Sorry, that doesn't ring any bells with us, either. It is probably an escaped non-native, which is out of the expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center.

We love identifying native plants for folks! Do you have a picture of a plant found growing in the wild somewhere in North America and you would like to know its name? Send us an email following the instructions below. Please do not send pictures of house plants, office plants, garden plants, plants seen on your vacation to Costa Rica or other clearly non-native species. For identification of non-native plants you might consider visiting the UBC Botanical Gardens Forums website.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.
  2. If possible, take several high-resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.
  3. Save images in JPEG format. Do not reduce the resolution of your images. High-resolution images are much easier for us to work with.
  4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.