Friday - August 13, 2010

Title: Source for safe glass mulch in Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

Do you know where one can buy locally in Austin the recycled glass mulch that is sold in clean condition, color separated?

ANSWER:

The glass mulch the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center used in some of its garden beds was acquired free from the City of Austin.  It was unscreened and not color separated but it had been tumbled such that after several years in the gardens, we had received no reports of anyone being cut on the shards.  We cannot say what what condition their glass mulch is currently in.

Texas Organic Products in Buda, Texas sells tumbled glass mulch that has been screened, though we understand that it does still contain some sand.  We do not know if they or any other source markets color-separated glass mulch.