Friday - August 13, 2010

From: Gatlinburg, TN
Topic: Propagation, Vines
Title: Need some information about wild native grapes in Gatlinburg, TN.

QUESTION:

We have some wild grapevines growing on a southern exposure eroded bank. They are providing assistance in reducing erosion with rapid growth. Do these plants develop ground contact as they grow? In Tennessee, do they die back in the winter? Thanks!

ANSWER:

In looking through our our database, the native wild grapes in Siever County are likely to be one of the of the following:

Vitis riparia (riverbank grape)     (more information)

Vitis rotundifolia (muscadine)      (more information)

Vitis vulpina (frost grape)            (more information)   {scroll to the bottom of the page}

As grape vines grow, they produce modified stems called tendrils that allow them to latch on to every thing in their path that will help them get their leaves up into the sunlight. They generally don't produce adventitions roots which would attach the stem to the soil.

Grapes are perennials and lose their leaves and enter a dormant phase during the winter.