En EspaÑol

Sunday - August 08, 2010

From: New Bern, NC
Title: Plant ID of growth on wild grape vine in New Bern NC

QUESTION:

There are purplish cone-shaped things growing on my wild grape vine. What are they?

ANSWER:

We are not plant pathologists, but sometimes someone on the Mr. Smarty Plants team can identify plants or growths if we have very good photographs.

We love identifying native plants for folks! Do you have a picture of a plant found growing in the wild somewhere in North America and you would like to know its name? Send us an email following the instructions below. Please do not send pictures of house plants, office plants, garden plants, plants seen on your vacation to Costa Rica or other clearly non-native species. For identification of non-native plants you might consider visiting the UBC Botanical Gardens Forums website.

1. Tell us where and when you found the plant and describe the site where it occurred.
  2. If possible, take several high-resolution images including details of leaves, stems, flowers, fruit, and the overall plant.
  3. Save images in JPEG format. Do not reduce the resolution of your images. High-resolution images are much easier for us to work with.
  4. Send email with images attached to id@smartyplants.org. Please enter Plant ID Request on the subject line of your email.