En EspaÑol

Monday - August 09, 2010

From: Houston, TX
Title: Is non-native Japanese Blueberry tree fruit poisonous to cats and dogs from Houston

QUESTION:

Are Japanese Blueberry Tree fruit poisonous? I have dogs and cats and I was concerned if they ate them. I also live in the Houston, TX area.

ANSWER:

Elaeocarpus deciphens, Japanese Blueberry Tree, is native to New Zealand, and therefore out of the range of expertise of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. Because we are committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native to North America, we have no information on this plant. We will give you a list of websites that list some plants poisonous to small animals, and you can search on those. You should be warned that, especially for a non-native plant, the fact that it is not on one of these lists does not guarantee that it is not toxic.

ASPCA Toxic and Non-Toxic Plants

Pawprints and Purrs Plants and Pets Toxic Listing

Petfinder.com Things Poisonous to Pets

ASCPA Poison Control Center

Suite 101.com Toxic Plants and Pets

Here an article from Gardening Central Japanese Blueberry Tree. Usually, if a plant has severely poisonous parts, articles about them will mention that but, again, no guarantees.