En EspaÑol

Tuesday - July 27, 2010

From: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Kudzu for Ft. Lauderdale, FL

QUESTION:

I just inherited a piece of land and am very much interested in starting some kind of homeopathic herbs. Can you tell me about Kudzu and where I can purchase some of these seeds?

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants likes to think he has a good sense of humor, but that is not funny! Florida, along with California, is already the world capital of invasive non-native plants, both of which the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is firmly against. Read this Plant Conservation Alliance's Alien Plant Working Group LEAST WANTED on Pueria montana var. lobata (kudzu).

Two more articles you should read:

The Kudzu Plant FAQ

Gardening Tips from Down South - How to Grow Kudzu

And lest you misunderstand, these are both satire. 

You are very fortunate to have inherited a great resource-land. Please be wise in your stewardship, planting and cultivating plants that are native to your area of Florida, eliminating invasive non-natives in non-polluting ways, improving the quality of life and contributing to environmental health.