En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification

Saturday - July 24, 2010

From: Kingsland, GA
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

Purchased foliage plant - no one knows its name. Leaves (stems) are bright green and 10" tall. Has "babies" like a spider plant but leaves (stems) are wider and thicker. Has a "rib" to them in the center of the stem.

ANSWER:

Our focus and expertise at the Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America.  A purchased foliage plant that has babies that look like a spider plant doesn't sound like any North American native plant that I can think of.  If you really think it is a North American native, you can send us photos and we will do our very best to identify it.  Please visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.  Otherwise, your best bet for having your plant identified is to submit photos to the UBC Botanical Garden Plant Identification Forum.  They do an excellent job identifying non-native plants.