Thursday - July 22, 2010

From: Mohave Valley, AZ
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Eliminating Arrow Weed from property in Mohave Valley AZ

QUESTION:

How do I get rid of Arrowweeds on my property?

ANSWER:

Pluchea sericea (arrowweed) is native to North America and to the entire state of Arizona, according to this USDA Plant Profile, which will make it that much harder to exterminate. If you manage somehow to get it off your property, you will only get seeds from other areas around you, carried in by wind and animals. This Las Pilitas website actually has it for sale, so we guess not everyone is opposed to it. 

Since we could find no very instructive information on this plant, and have no personal experience with it, we suggest you contact the Arizona Cooperative Extension Office for Mohave County.  They can tap into the resources of trained horticulturists familiar with the area and the plant, and make much more informed suggestions than we can.