En EspaÑol

Thursday - July 22, 2010

From: Bay Point, CA
Title: Suckers on non-native crape myrtle in Bay Point CA

QUESTION:

How can I stop suckers on a Crepe Myrtle tree? I have bought sucker stopper in the past, but find it hard to locate now. Is there something else I can spray or paint on the base of the tree to stop the suckers? Thank you

ANSWER:

Legerstroemia indica, Crapemyrtle, is native to temperate and tropical Asia. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which the plants are being grown. However, from The University of Georgia Cooperative Extension website, here is an article on Crape Myrtle Culture, Pages 3 and 4 of this document covers both pruning and control of suckers. They do mention a growth inhibitor for the suckers, but ordinarily just snipping them off will suffice, although you will have to keep doing it-there are no permanent fixes in Nature.