Tuesday - February 28, 2006

From: Flower Mound, TX
Title: Eastern red cedar as tall privacy hedge for North Texas
Answered by: Joe Marcus and Nan Hampton

I live in Northern Texas, outside of Dallas, and I need a very, very tall hedge to hide the view of the neighbors car lot from our second floor. We see everything beyond his fence and it drastically devalues our house. Any suggestions? Also, I love the look of lombardy poplars, however, the information I've gathered says they are prone to disease and not worth the effort. Can I grow them where I live and prevent the disease somehow? Thank you.

Eastern red cedar (Juniperus virginiana) would be ideal for this purpose. It is native, fast-growing, adaptable, drought-tolerant, evergreen, takes pruning (although it usually doesn't need it), makes an excellent hedge and is attractive. Here is more information on Eastern red cedar.