Thursday - July 08, 2010

From: Holland, MI
Title: Plant identification

Found in a cedar swamp near Wolverine Michigan. Large dinner plate size flat green leaf on a mottled green and brown fleshy stem of about 8 or 10 inches. I first thought it was a tri-leaf plant but it was a deeply lobed leaf. one leaf on each stem. Sorry no pictures.

Were you, perhaps, seeing the leaves of Arisaema triphyllum (Jack in the pulpit) without its flower?   The leaves are near the size of a dinner plate with three leaflets per leaf and they grow in moist places.  Click here, again here and, once more, here for more information with photos for the Jack-in-the-pulpit.

Podophyllum peltatum (mayapple) is another possibility, but its leaf usually has more than three lobes.

Arisaema triphyllum

Arisaema triphyllum

Podophyllum peltatum

Podophyllum peltatum