Sunday - July 04, 2010

From: Mt. Pleasant, TX
Title: Will cattle eat non-native Star Jasmine from Mt. Pleasant TX

Will cattle eat Star Jasmine if planted on driveway entrance from pasture?

Never having been much into cattle, we don't have firsthand information. However, our understanding from people who know is that cows will eat anything they can reach, including someone's vegetable garden and a plastic cleaner's bag. Trachelospermum jasminoides, Star Jasmine or Confederate Jasmine is native to China, and therefore falls out of our range of expertise. Here is an eflora website, South China Botanical Garden Checklist. which says the whole plant is poisonous. 

Another website, from Floridata, Trachelospermum jasminoides, warns against letting it get up into trees as it can get too heavy and pull limbs down.