Saturday - July 10, 2010

From: Napa, CA
Topic: Deer Resistant
Title: Deer resistant plants for wet area in northern California

In Napa/Sonoma/Calif mountains, deer resistant plants, shrubs that tolerate much water and full sun? Area is in 'spring area' and a butterfly bush drowned. Thank you!

Here are several plants that will tolerate growing in wet areas in the sun in your part of California.  I have added their known deer resistance according to several different lists (see below).  Remember, however, that if the deer are having trouble finding their preferred food, they will eat or at least try any plant.  Here are the lists of deer resistant plants:

Sisyrinchium californicum (golden blue-eyed grass) moderately high deer resistance.  Here are photos.

Rosa californica (California wildrose) moderately high to high. Here are photos.

Rosa pisocarpa (cluster rose) and here is more information and photos.

Iris missouriensis (Rocky Mountain iris) high resistance.

Gaultheria shallon (salal) high resistance.  Here is additional information.

Anemopsis californica (yerba mansa) moderate resistance.

Equisetum arvense (field horsetail) high resistance. 

Equisetum hyemale (scouringrush horsetail) high resistance. 

Hibiscus lasiocarpos (rosemallow) high resistance.

Here are several lists of deer resistant plants:

1.  Deer Resistant Plants list from King County Washington.

2.  Deer-Resistant Plants for Central Oregon from the Oregon State University Extension Service.

3.  Deer and Fire List from Las Pilitas Nursery in Escondido and Santa Margarita, California.

4.  Deer-Proofing Your Bay Area Garden from Yerba Buena California Native Plant Nursery in Woodside, CA.

5.  Deer Resistant Species from the Wildflower Center web page.

Iris missouriensis

Gaultheria shallon

Anemopsis californica

Equisetum arvense

Equisetum hyemale

Hibiscus lasiocarpos