Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of vine with gourd-like fruit

Wednesday - June 30, 2010

From: Checotah, OK
Title: Identification of vine with gourd-like fruit

QUESTION:

We live on a farm, and I have noticed a vine that has leaves like grapes, but produces this flower, and a fruit that is rather large, shaped like a gourd, right now green in color. It is growing over my blackberry or wild brush.

ANSWER:

Here are three possibilities for your vine:

1)  Cucurbita foetidissima (Missouri gourd)

2)  Ibervillea lindheimeri (Lindheimer's globeberry)

3)  Melothria pendula (Guadeloupe cucumber)

If none of these is the vine that you see, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it for you.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read the instructions for submitting photos.

Cucurbita foetidissima

Cucurbita foetidissima

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Ibervillea lindheimeri

Melothria pendula

Melothria pendula