Tuesday - June 29, 2010

From: Fairfield, OH
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I live outside of Cincinnati and I have a bush that has long yellowish leaves that grow like a spider plant. Just recently long purple things have grown in the middle of them. Is this normal or should I clip it out?

ANSWER:

Our expertise and focus here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America and your plant doesn't sound like to me any plant native to North America.  If you think it is native to North America, you can send us photos and we will do our best to identify it, tell you what the 'long purple things' are and advise you.  If it is not native to North America, your best would be to photograph it and submit the photos to the UBC Botanical Gardens Plant Identification Forum.