Friday - June 25, 2010

From: San Diego, CA
Topic: Cacti and Succulents
Title: Cutting bloom stalk of century plant in San Diego CA

QUESTION:

My 28 yr old century plant will bloom soon. I understand it will die. Will this 30 ft stalk then likely fall? Will I need to call someone to cut the dead stalk? The base is nearly 7 ft by 6ft - no way for us to reach it with an electric saw.

ANSWER:

Yes, it is more likely that the bloom stalk will fall before the plant itself is dead. Let it bloom and set seed, it has worked all of its 28 years to do that. By then, it won't be too attractive and it could come down in wind and do damage to property or person. Someone who does tree trimming should have the kind of tool that has a long handle and a mechanism so the stalk can be cut from a distance. Knowing which way it is going to fall is going to be a problem, so we feel a professional landscaper or arborist would really be the best way to go.

American century plant
Agave americana

American century plant
Agave americana

American century plant
Agave americana

Lechuguilla
Agave lechuguilla