Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native sedum 'Burrito' sunburned in Providence RI?

Monday - June 28, 2010

From: Providence, RI
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Non-native sedum 'Burrito' sunburned in Providence RI?

QUESTION:

I have a sedum burrito that I keep outside and receives bright sun for around 6 hours a day. it looks like it's getting sunburned, the leaves are getting shriveled and browning on the tips. I've brought it inside, is there a way I can save it? Should I prune off the dead leaves? Thank you,

ANSWER:

There are 18 members of the genus Sedum in our Native Plant Database, all referred to as stonecrops. We believe what you have is selection or species of stonecrop that is native to Mexico, Sedum burrito. It is out of our range of expertise, which is the growth, protection and propagation of plants native to North America. However, we think we can answer your question according to material on the native sedums. 

The plant can be outside in bright light or filtered sunshine. If you have a good bright window that doesn't get direct sun, that is a good location. You may be over-watering as well. When you water, water thoroughly and don't do it again until the pot is fairly dry, say down about an inch into the soil - poke your finger in. Don't worry about fertilizer at this point, it could only complicate matters. Although we realize that the sun in Providence RI is probably not as fierce as it is here in Texas, we  have found that sedums do better with only part sun, such as 2 to 6 hours, and can get along pretty well in less sun. 

For more information, go to these articles from Home and Garden Publications, Sedums: beauty without the bother and Gardening Know How Planting Sedums-How to Grow Sedums. 

Pictures of Sedum burrito from Google.