Tuesday - June 29, 2010

From: McPherson, KS
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: New growth on Amur Maple turning black in McPherson, Kansas.

Re: Amur Maple bushes Approximately 2 yrs old, 4 ft tall. New growth at the end of some branches is turning black. Plants are mulched with grass clippings. We live in Kansas. Thanks for any info.

Your plant's distress could be caused by a number of things ranging from watering problems, to fungus or bacterial diseases, to leaf hoppers. Your best bet is to have someone take a look at the plants first hand. I would suggest contacting the folks at the McPherson County Office of K-State Research and Extension  to obtain a definitive diagnosis.

This site from Clemson Cooperative Extension also has some information about diseases of Maple trees.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that the mission of the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center  is to increase the sustainable use and conservation of native wildflowers, plants and landscapes. The Amur Maple Acer ginnala is an introduced species from Japan and falls ouside the area of our expertise.