Thursday - June 17, 2010

From: Bridger, MT
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Seeds and Seeding
Title: Number of seeds per pound for Curvepod fumewort from Bridger MT

QUESTION:

Do you know or where can I find the number of seeds per pound for Corydalis curvisiliqua-scrambled eggs?

ANSWER:

Nope, you got us there. Is this a trick question? Even our Native Plant Database, which is a constant work-in-progress, does not have that kind of information. Your best source of information on that is going to be seed companies that specialize in native plants. While our database does not show Corydalis curvisiliqua (curvepod fumewort) as being native to Montana, it is native to next-door Wyoming, and also to Texas, so perhaps someone in those regions has weighed and recorded the number of seeds. When working to supply native Texas seeds to the Millennium Seed Bank, we have techniques for counting out a certain number of seeds, weighing (on an electronic scale) 50 of those seeds, and a formula for calculating the number of seeds in a sample.  We even have pictures (see below) of some of the seeds in our database, but not the weights. Click on the seed pictures for an enlarged view.

From Native American Seed, we found this page on Scrambled eggs, which gives recommended weight per acre but not number of seeds per pound. If you are planning to seed an area, this is probably all the information that you need. That company has an online catalog and does mail order; you might contact them and see if they have recorded a seeds-per-pound for this plant. Beyond that, we suggest you go to our National Supplier's Directory, type in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and landscape consultants in your general area. All have contact information. 

Flora of North America

Southern Colorado Wildflowers