Mr. Smarty Plants - White flowers to plant in front of evergreen tree screen in Altoona PA

Tuesday - June 15, 2010

From: Altoona, PA
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs, Trees
Title: White flowers to plant in front of evergreen tree screen in Altoona PA

QUESTION:

I have planted about 30 evergreen trees (as a screen). I would like to plant a row of low maintenance whitish flowering bushes or low maintenance large flowering plants in front of this row. Any suggestions?

ANSWER:

Yes, don't waste your time and money. You didn't say what evergreen, so we don't know how big it will get, but if you intended a screen, probably pretty big. Please read this Mr. Smarty Plants previous answer about someone who planted a flower garden in the midst of evergreen trees planted for screening, and the consequences. We suggest that you research the trees that you have planted and their expected root spread. If you wish, you can send us this information, or at least the name of the tree and whether it is going to cast a lot of shade on the area you want flowers. With more information, perhaps we can help you. Most plants that flower well need quite a bit of sun, and they certainly need space in the ground for their roots.