Mr. Smarty Plants - Getting flowers to grow under non-native globe willow in Salt Lake City

Saturday - June 12, 2010

From: Salt Lake City, UT
Title: Getting flowers to grow under non-native globe willow in Salt Lake City

QUESTION:

We have a globe willow in our back yard that is about 15 years old and cannot get any flowers to grow under it. Can you recommend what we need to do to treat the soil, and what type of flowers will grow best?

ANSWER:

Please see this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer on Globe Willow, Salix matsudana, which is native to Asia and therefore falls out of our range of experience and is not in our Native Plant Database. Their invasive roots compete with nearby plants for moisture and nutrients, so gardening underneath is difficult. The willow will lap up anything you do to treat the soil, as well as suck up the water. The good news is, willows grow very fast and don't live very long, so when it dies you can cut it down and plant whatever you want to.