Mr. Smarty Plants - Non-native blue potato bush in El Dorado Hills CA

Saturday - June 12, 2010

From: El Dorado Hills, CA
Topic: Non-Natives, Diseases and Disorders
Title: Non-native blue potato bush in El Dorado Hills CA

QUESTION:

I have two blue potato bush topiary planted in my front porch in a very big planter. It's getting a full afternoon sun. I am wondering why they are losing their leaves??? Am I overwatering them??? Also, how much water do they need considering the amount of heat they're getting. When is the best time to water them???

ANSWER:

Solanaceae  lycianthes. synonym Lycianthes rantonetti, common names Paraguay Nightshade or blue potato vine, take your pick. All are native to Paraguay, Argentina, Brazil and other areas of South America. All are part of the Nightshade family, to which eating potatoes and tomatoes also belong. Most parts of these plants are poisonous, even the unripe fruits, but the fruits on most of them can be eaten. Since they are non-native to North America and therefore  not in our Native Plant Database, we have found some references that might help you. When you are reading forums, you need to remember that these are not experts writing the responses, but they are gardeners who have some experience with your plant. 

Dave's Garden Forum: Blue Potato Bush

gardenguide.com How to Plant and Care for Blue Potato Bush

eHow.com How to Plant and Care for Blue Potato Bush