Monday - June 07, 2010

From: Milford, OH
Title: Plant that smells like cinnamon in Milford OH

Wanting to know what wildflower/weed would be so aromatic and smells like cinnamon? Always enjoy this wonderful smell when my husband and I ride the motorcycle, but don't know what it is. Would like to figure it out so I can plant it in my back yard, even if it is a weed ! Please help me ! Have been looking for years ! I need to know ! Thanks,

From a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer to the same question:

"Here are some possibilities for your cinnamon-scented plant:

1. Dodecatheon meadia, Pride of Ohio or Shootingstar, native to Ohio

2. Dioscorea oppositifolia (formerly Dioscorea batatas), Cinnamon vine. Native to China, a tropical or sub-tropical plant, grows in Ohio, considered invasive.

3. Hesperis matronalis, Dame's Rocket, a Eurasian native and considered invasive.

The next time you smell the cinnamon-like scent, perhaps you will be able to determine which one it is (or if it is one) of these."

We found one more in our Native Plant Database, Calycanthus floridus. (eastern sweetshrub), native to Ohio.

Pictures of Dioscorea oppositifolia from Google

Pictures of Hesperis matronalis from Google

Calycanthus floridus

Calycanthus floridus

Dodecatheon meadia

Dodecatheon meadia