Mr. Smarty Plants - Is non-native Tillandsia air plant poisonous to cats?

Monday - June 07, 2010

From: Providence, RI
Topic: Non-Natives, Poisonous Plants
Title: Is non-native Tillandsia air plant poisonous to cats?

QUESTION:

Are Tillandsia/air plants poisonous to cats? Please help!

ANSWER:

These plants are not native to North America, as are most indoor plants, so they are not in our Native Plant Database or area of expertise. From a website, Air Plants-Tillandsia, under "More Info on Air Plants" we found this statement.

"Tillandsias are NOT toxic to animals, although this does not mean your pet won't eat them, but they will survive the experience, your plant might not."