Monday - June 07, 2010

From: Nederland , TX
Title: How to distinguish white-flowered Baptisias?

QUESTION:

How can I tell the difference between Baptisia alba and Baptisia alba var. macrophylla

ANSWER:

Since you're located in Texas, if you have a white-flowered Baptisia blooming now, it's almost certainly Baptisia alba var. macrophylla.  In general, B. a. var. macrophylla grows larger than the type.  Also, the ranges of B. a. var. alba and the similar species, B. albescens, are limited to the Deep South and do not extend west of Mississippi.  Another, creamy-white to yellow flowered species, Baptisia bracteata var. leucophaea does occur in Texas, but it flowers in early spring.