Tuesday - June 01, 2010

From: Belton, TX
Title: Plant identification

QUESTION:

I have a grandchild that said the seed pod on a plant that looks like a clover is edible. It has clover like leaves and a little yellow flower. I did taste it and it kind of taste like a pickle. This is a clover like plant that comes up in pot plants and in the garden freely.

ANSWER:

The plant sounds like Oxalis dillenii (slender yellow woodsorrel) or Oxalis stricta (common yellow oxalis).  Both of these plants species occur in the general vicinity of Belton, Texas. There is a pink species, Oxalis drummondii (Drummond's woodsorrel), that also can be found in your area.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Oxalis dillenii

Oxalis stricta

Oxalis drummondii