Wednesday - January 04, 2006

From: Islip Terrace, NY
Title: Cultivation of non=native Brugmansia sanquinea

QUESTION:

I have had an Angel Trumpet since spring 2004, I keep it indoors in about 5 hours of sun a day. It is about 5 feet tall and was loaded with leaves. At Christmas time I had to move it from the front window; it was in the same room but not in direct sun. All the leaves fell off. Now I have it back in its favorite spot and the leaves are growing back. It has never bloomed and has 2 stalks. It is in a large container with miracle grow soil. What do you recommend to get it to bloom? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.

ANSWER:

By Angel Trumpet, I assume you are referring to one of the species of Brugmansia such as Brugmansia sanguinea. All of the species of Brugmansia have been introduced into North America from South America and as non-natives are not really in our purview, but perhaps we can help answer your question anyway. According to an article called Growing Brugmansias by Hummingbird Farm in Maine, they need lots of feeding to make lots of flowers. They recommend giving them a heavy dose of fertilizer twice a week. They also recommend giving them plenty of water.

You might also like to visit the American Brugmansia & Datura Society, Inc. web page to read more about them.