Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant identification of shrub in Georgia

From: Dallas, GA
Title: Plant identification of shrub in Georgia

QUESTION:

I have a bush that has red berries. It is evergreen and the leaves are a soft green. The berries are white at first and turn red. The bush is like a cluster of twigs that are in one area kind of like the yellow bell but it stands straight up and is about 5 ft. tall.

ANSWER:

First of all, it is very difficult—usually impossible—to identify a plant by a description only.  Nevertheless, I did a little search for something to match your description and came up with these evergreen shrubs with red berries native to Georgia:

Ilex myrtifolia (myrtle dahoon)

Ilex cassine (dahoon) and here are photos and more information.

It is also possible that the shrub is not a North American native—in which case, it would not be in our Native Plant Database or our area of expertise.

If your plant doesn't happen to be one of the suggested shrubs above, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  To read instructions for submitting photos, visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page.

Here is a photo of Ilex myrtifolia.  You can see photos of Ilex cassine in the links above.

Ilex myrtifolia