Tuesday - May 25, 2010

From: Wantagh, NY
Title: Need perennials for a long shady bed in Wantagh, NY.

Looking for perennials to be planted in long narrow beds that receive mostly shade with late day sun. Reside in Long Island, New York. Thank you

Let me tell you how you can generate a list of perennials from which you can select the plants to use in your flower beds.

Go to the Recommended Species page and click on New York on the map. This will give you a list of 112 commercially available native plant species suitable for planned landscapes in New York. Scroll down to the Narrow Your Search box on the right of the screen and make the following selections:select New York under STATE, Herb under GENERAL APPEARANCE, and Perennial under LIFESPAN. Check Part sun for LIGHT REQUIREMENT, and Moist for SOIL MOISTURE. You can ignore BLOOM TIME and COLOR for now. Click on the Narrow your Search button and your list is reduced to 27 plant species. Clicking on the name of each plant will pull up its NPIN page which contains descriptios, growing conditions and images of that plant. You can change the list by changing the selections.

Once you have picked your plants, visit our Suppliers Directory to locate businesses that sell native plants or seeds or provide professional landscape or consulting services in your state.