Tuesday - May 25, 2010

From: Tobyhanna, PA
Topic: Shade Tolerant, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Annual flowers for rocky area near driveway in Pennsylvania

QUESTION:

What type(s) of annual flowers can I plant along a driveway in northeast PA? The soil is very rocky and the area is mostly shady receiving only morning and some late afternoon sun.

ANSWER:

In our Native Plant Database do a COMBINATION SEARCH and select 'Pennsylvania' from the Select State or Province area, then choose 'Herb' under Habit (general appearance), 'Annual' under Duration (lifespan), and 'Part shade...' under Light requirement to find plants that meet your criteria.

Here are a few examples from that list:

Bidens cernua (nodding beggartick)

Coreopsis tinctoria (golden tickseed)

Gaillardia pulchella (firewheel)

Rudbeckia hirta (blackeyed Susan)

Viola sororia (common blue violet)

If you think you could use perennials rather than annuals, you will find a larger number of choices available if you substitute 'perennial' instead of 'annual' for your search term.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery: