Tuesday - May 25, 2010

From: Plano, TX
Topic: Groundcovers
Title: Evergreen ground covers and low plants for Dallas area

Would like a list of low growing (24" or less) evergreen plants including ground covers, scrubs, etc-flowering and non-flowering that are hardy and require low maintenance in the Dallas area. So often plant lists tell if a plant is perennial, but not if it is evergreen! Thank you.

Here is a list of native low-growing evergreen plants for the Dallas area. 

Calyptocarpus vialis (straggler daisy) grows 6 to 12 inches and is almost evergreen.  It does go dormant in cold winters in Dallas.

Phyla nodiflora (turkey tangle fogfruit) is evergreen in Dallas in mild winters and grows 3 to 4 inches tall.

Geum canadense (white avens) is evergreen and grows 4 to 18 inches high.

Polystichum acrostichoides (Christmas fern) grows 1.5 to 2 feet and is evergreen.

Salvia lyrata (lyreleaf sage) grows 1 to 2 feet tall and is evergreen.

Packera obovata (roundleaf ragwort) grows 1 to 2 feet tall and is evergreen.

Carex planostachys (cedar sedge) normally grows to 6 inches and is evergreen.

Carex blanda (eastern woodland sedge) grows to 1 foot and here is more information.

Carex cherokeensis (Cherokee sedge) grows to 1 foot and here is more information.

Here are photos from our Image Gallery:

Calyptocarpus vialis

Calyptocarpus vialis

Phyla nodiflora

Geum canadense

Geum canadense

Polystichum acrostichoides

Salvia lyrata

Packera obovata

Packera obovata

Carex planostachys

Carex blanda

Carex cherokeensis