Saturday - May 22, 2010

From: Coppell, TX
Title: Native shrub for hedge in Dallas County, Texas

QUESTION:

Looking for something to plant as hedge around yard for privacy. Prefer not to have to trim and like natural look, not over 8-9 ft. in full sun. Year round privacy for pool needed.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you want an evergreen hedge so here are some recommendations for such shrubs in your size range that are native to your area and do well in full sun:

Mahonia swaseyi (Texas barberry) grows 3 to 4 feet high

Mahonia trifoliolata (agarita) grows 3 to 6 feet high

Morella cerifera (wax myrtle) grows 6 to 12 feet, but can be pruned to maintain desired height

Leucophyllum frutescens (cenizo) grows 2 to 5 feet high

Rhus virens (evergreen sumac) grows 8 to 12 feet high and can be pruned to maintain size

If you want to see more choices for shrubs that wouldn't be evergreen, visit our Texas-North Central Recommended page. You can use the NARROW YOUR SEARCH option and choose 'Shrub' from the GENERAL APPEARANCE category to limit the list to shrubs.