Thursday - January 26, 2006

From: Ypsilanti, MI
Title: Sources of information on native plants iin Ypsilanti, Michigan area

QUESTION:

Hello, I am a scout with Troop 243. I am interested in knowing if you have information available to give me regarding the Native Plants that have been discovered in the Ypsilanti, Michigan area. I need this information for my rank advancement in scouting. I will be speaking with my scoutmaster soon and wondered if you could help me out. Thank you very much.

ANSWER:

There are several resources available that might have the information you need about the native plants of Southeastern Michigan. At the top of the list is the Michigan Natural Features Inventory which maintains databases with inventories of Michigan's special plants--those that are endangered or threatened. You can also access specific county records of endangered and threatened species on their web page. Although they don't specifically say so, it is possible that they also have county records or lists of non-threatened species. You can contact Michigan Natural Features Inventory for information about access to their databases.

Another possible resource is Michigan's Conservation Districts; in particular, Washtenaw County Conservation District.

The City of Ann Arbor has an abridged lists of species native to Southeast Michigan that are recommended for use in landscaping.

Michigan Botanical Club is another possible resource. There is a Southeastern Chapter.

Michigan's Department of Natural Resources has an overview of Michigan plants with links to other sources.

Finally, the Michigan Chapter of the Nature Conservancy might have inventories or checklists of native Michigan plants for some areas.