Friday - May 14, 2010

From: Lincolnton, NC
Title: Source of Calycanthus floridus in Lincolnton NC

I have been trying to find a Calycanthus Floridus, I want to plant them around the house, but have had no luck. I live in Lincolnton, NC do you know of any place I can find them?

Calycanthus floridus (eastern sweetshrub) is shown on this USDA Plant Profile as being native to Lincoln Co. North Carolina so it should not be that much of a problem.

From Duke University, here are pictures of Eastern Sweetshrub found in North Carolina, some in the wild, some planted. 

From the page on this plant in our Native Plant Database:

"Conditions Comments: Calycanthus floridus is very resistant to disease and insect problems. It has a prolific suckering habit, adapts to many soils and grows taller in shaded places. Transplanting nursery stock is tricky. Pamper after planting until new growth starts." 

"Propagate by seed, but watch for slugs on recently germinated plants. Great clonal variation exists in rootability but semi-hardwood cuttings from the right plant will root.
Seed Collection: Collect in fall to early winter."

This Floridata site gives more information on propagating the plant, saying it is easily rooted from other plants. Extracted from that article: "Propagate by seeds, layers, and divisions. This shrub produces suckers in profusion. These can be easily dug and planted in a new location - at just about any time of the year provided the transplants are kept moist." So, you might find a source in friends' gardens without having to go to a nursery. Always remember, any time you take cuttings or a plant from property, whether it's in a garden or in the wild, you should get permission from the landowner of that site to do so. 

As for finding a commercial source for this plant, since it is native to North Carolina, you should be able to easily find it by going to our National Suppliers Directory, typing in your town and state in the "Enter Search Location" box, and you will get a list of native plant nurseries, seed suppliers and consultants in your general area. They all have contact information and you can call or e-mail them for availability before you go shopping.

Calycanthus floridus

Calycanthus floridus

Calycanthus floridus

Calycanthus floridus