Monday - May 17, 2010

From: Marstons Mills, MA
Topic: Diseases and Disorders
Title: What kind of beetles are attacking cedar trees on Cape Cod, MA.

QUESTION:

I live on Cape Cod, MA and my cedar trees are being attacked by some kind of beetle & killing them. I would appreciate knowing what this could be and how to treat this. Thank you

ANSWER:

It is very difficult for us to diagnose plant/insect problems from a distance, but I did find this information sheet on the Japanese Cedar Longhorn Beetle from the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources (MDAR) that tells how to identify this pest. In the mean time, I would suggest that you contact the folks at Cape Cod Cooperative Extension  who are probably more familiar with this problem.