From: Branchburg, NJ
Title: A non-native Japanese Maple for Branchburg NJ

QUESTION:

I am landscaping around my house and am looking for a tree that wont eventually grow too large. I thought maybe a bloodgood Japanese maple. Any suggestions would help

ANSWER:

Acer palmatum, Japanese maple, is non-native to North America, and therefore does not appear in our Native Plant Database. However, here is an article from Paghat's Garden on Acer palmatum 'Bloodgood,' that has some information you can use.

Since we would prefer you plant trees native not only to North America but to the area in Somerset County in central New Jersey, we will look in our database for trees suitable to USDA Hardiness Zone 6b that will not grow too large.

Small Trees Native to  Somerset County, NJ:

Amelanchier canadensis (Canadian serviceberry) - 4 to 20 ft. tall, blooms white April and May, sun, part shade or shade

Betula populifolia (gray birch) - 35 to 50 ft., sun, part shade or shade

Cercis canadensis (eastern redbud) - 15 to 30 ft., part shade or shade

Ilex opaca (American holly) - 25 ft., evergreen, sun, part shade or shade

Amelanchier canadensis

Betula populifolia

Cercis canadensis

Ilex opaca