Mr. Smarty Plants - Can Texas Ebony seed pods be used as mulch in Edinburg TX

Monday - May 10, 2010

From: Edinburg, TX
Title: Can Texas Ebony seed pods be used as mulch in Edinburg TX

QUESTION:

I just bought a house with two large Texas ebony trees out front. I read somewhere that the seed pods could be used as mulch? Is this true? If so, would I need to remove the seeds from the pods first? If they can't be used as mulch, any other good ideas for them? I'll have plenty!

ANSWER:

Ebenopsis ebano (Texas ebony) is, indeed, a native to South Texas and in our Native Plant Database.  Here is some information and pictures from Arid Zone Trees. From Arizona WildFlowers, we extracted this information: "In Mexico, the seeds from the pods are eaten, and the black wood shells are roasted as a coffee substitute." We would assume, then, that there is nothing poisonous about the pods or the seeds, so using the pods as a mulch should be okay, since we found no information to the contrary. We think it would be well to remove the seeds from the pods, if you don't want little treelets popping up all around. 

Ebenopsis ebano

Ebenopsis ebano

Ebenopsis ebano

Ebenopsis ebano